Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Demon's Souls

Demon's Souls is a challenging action RPG released by From Software in 2009.  It is popular and notorious for its difficulty, so I probably don't need to actually introduce it. Boletaria, a bleak, barren kingdom that has been razed by demons, immediately sets the mood of the story.  Demon's Souls is reminiscent of other Japanese games like Shin Megami Tensei in that it's set in a world beyond human help where you must pick up the pieces and do what you can.  I have always found it curious that this plot is so popular in Japan, which I suppose makes sense given that the nation has faced massive destruction from atom bombs, tsunamis, and earthquakes, but regardless it's done well here.  The gloomy aesthetics of the game are tough to criticize after finishing it, and aside from a few lazy-looking bosses in the Valley of Defilement, I think Demon's Souls might have one of the most successful looks and feels I've seen in a video game.

Of course, Demon's Souls's greatest strength is its gameplay.  There are so many different way to approach it that I'm not sure how to begin, but I'll just say my personal choice was an archer with a katana, so I got to use most of the combat elements of the game besides attack magic.  Demon's Souls makes many different styles of combat useful, which is quite a feat considering how useless certain classes are in other games. Archers can completely avoid certain dangerous situations by sniping enemies. Melee classes have a much easier time dealing with basic hordes of enemies. Magicians are probably overpowered, but fun to play as. As long as you understand the equipment system, what weapons you need, and all that jazz, you can approach the game how you like and it will still probably be challenging but possible.

This playthrough was my second attempt to get into Demon's Souls.  The first time, I performed the ultimate rage-quit of returning the game and later purchasing it again. While that might make me seem like a wimp, my main criticism of this game now has a lot to do with the reasons I returned it in the first place.  Much has been written about Demon's Soul's difficulty and cruelty to the player, but I think the cruelty isn't so much the fault of the difficulty; rather, it's the fault of the designers for not making the game's mechanics clear. Many important stats are signified with symbols instead of names. The game never tells you how the different weapon upgrade paths differ. Some players may never realize they need to unburden themselves to roll, which is a crucial skill for avoiding certain attacks. The game never tells you that the starting class doesn't affect your stat build except for in very specific cases. World tendency adjusts itself through hidden methods and affects the difficulty of the game. The list goes on and on.  I was only able to enjoy this game after watching informative videos and browsing the wiki.  Now, I realize there are plenty of people who played the game with no outside help, but when you're as bad at action games as I am you need at least some step in the right direction. I think if Demon's Souls had been more up front about certain mechanics I would not have had so much trouble.  Thus, if I had to point out the underlying issue with Demon's Souls it would probably be "polish."  The game actually has a very good tutorial, and I liked that it avoided interrupting the player later on to explain mechanics, but unfortunately some mechanics needed a glossary or some form of in-game explanation to avoid the need for guide-surfing.

The level design may be the most impressive thing about this game.  Each area is completely distinct, not just from a visual standpoint but from its gameplay too.  Boletaria has hordes of human enemies that require some combat finesse; Stonefang is full of precious minerals and slow, powerful enemies; Latria is more terrifying than it is challenging, but has the toughest bosses in the game; The Shrine of Storms has incredibly difficult foes but simple bosses; The Valley of Defilement is slow and grueling, attempting to wear down the player. I wish more games could make each section of them feel this unique and memorable. In most games, I can't remember what certain areas were like years down the line, but I don't think I'll ever forget a single place in Demon's Souls.  It goes to show how good direction in art, programming, and storytelling can come together to make something timeless.

I can't recommend Demon's Souls to most gamers, but if you are up for a challenge give it a try. There were many bosses I found way too frustrating to ever want to face again but I was glad to overcome them.  (If you suck at action games like me, have fun trying to take on Flamelurker or Maneater without cheesing them)  It is worth playing to see the incredible levels and experience a fully realized world, but just know that you will die and die a lot, but that's part of the game.  Demon's Souls trusts the player to improve over time, use resources to improve his chances of victory, and ultimately decide how he wants to see it end.

8

No comments:

Post a Comment